Matariki Festival 2013– A Celebration of New Zealand
Matariki is our unique Maori New Year. It's
A seasonal occasion to mark the end of harvest, A
Time to celebrate throughout June and mid July. It's
About the 'new year' planting season, new beginnings when we can
Rejuvinate ourselves. Matariki
Is a time for reflection, remembrance as well as joy so we are
Keen to involve everyone
In communities and families throughout New Zealand.
Free Community Festivals – Everyone Welcome
- Fri 14 June 5pm to 8.30pm Tamatea - AW Parson Stadium & Russell Park, River Terrace, Waipukurau
- Fri 21 June 5pm to 8.30pm Heretaunga - Flaxmere Park, Henderson Rd, Flaxmere, Hastings
- Fri 22 June 10am to 4.00pm Te Whanganui A Orotu Ahurei Matariki - Pukemokimoki Marae, Napier
- Fri 28 June 5pm to 8.30pm Wairoa - Community Centre & Alexandra Park, Marine Parade, Wairoa
- Sat 29 June 5pm to 8.30pm Te Whanganui A Orotu - Tangoio Marae, 1 Settlement Road, Highway 2, Napier
- Fri 5 July 4pm to 7.30pm Marist Rugby Club, Memorial Park, Dixon St, Masterton
Over the past few years Matariki has grown from not having any stage or bands involved to having a line up of local and national talent of all kinds. We’re challenging everyone to be active and learn a new dance routine to be confirmed. There’s two categories Under 16 and Open. The new routine can be found shortly on www.rezpectdanceacademy.com
With all the activities on offer you’re bound to need a well-deserved refreshment break, and so that you will get! A wide variety of food and drink stalls provide you with everything from traditional carnival food like hotdogs and chips to espresso coffee, and Maori food options! You’ll be spoilt for choice and are guaranteed to have your hunger satisfied.
What Carnival would be complete without a selection of activities for young and old? You won't be disappointed, with mini jeeps, merry go round, bouncy castles, and even a shooting gallery!
There’s no better way to end a fantastic night out than with a bang! We are again pleased to be able to offer some of the best pyrotechnics on display for Matariki this year. Keep your eyes on the night sky and you won’t be disappointed!
We are grateful for the financial support from our funders and sponsors; Ngati Kahungunu Iwi Inc, Te Puni Kokiri, Lion Foundation, Endeavour Foundation, Trust House, Creative Communities Hastings, Creative Communities Napier, Four Winds Foundation.
- Mon 17th June 2013 10.30am - 2pm Official opening of the Matariki Event at Pukemokimoki Marae
- Tue 18th June 2013 10.45am-4pm Matariki workshops at Pukemokimoki Marae
- Tue 18th - Sat 28th June - Matariki Exhibition, Hastings Art Centre, 106 Russell Street South, Hastings
- Wed 19th June 9.00am - 4.00pm Visit Maungaharuru Bird Sanctuary
- Thur 20th June 10.45am - Workshops at Pukemokimoki Marae
- Fri 21st June 11.00am - 1.00pm Matariki Kakahu Fashion Festival - Pukemokimoki Marae
- Mon 24 June - 6.00am - Mad Matariki Morning Fitness Workout - Wairoa Community Centre, Wairoa
- Tue 25 June - 9.00am - Te Ra Pipi Poi me Piupiu Day - for all Kohanga Reo - Wairoa Community Centre, Wairoa
- Wed 26 June - 10.00am - Tamariki Day - Wairoa Community Centre, Wairoa
- Thu 27 June - 10.00am - Kaumatua Day - Wairoa Community Centre, Wairoa
- Thu 27 June - 10.00am - Wairoa Amazing Race - Wairoa Community Centre, Wairoa
- Fri 28 June - 10.00am - Rangatahi Leadership Challenge - Wairoa Community Centre,Wairoa
Enquiries: Te Rangi Huata Phone 06 876 2718 Extn 706 firstname.lastname@example.org